Friday, June 10, 2011

Wisconsin to Iowa

It's about 330 miles from my home to Robin's place in Des Moines.  Despite unfavorable forecasts, I made it all the way to Des Moines with nothing but a few sprinkles.  Unfortunately I did not make it all the way to Robin's house without bad weather.  At about mile 325 I hit hail, lightning, and pouring rain.  I was just getting off I-80 west onto I-235 south into Des Moines when the sky opened up.  I was watching dark clouds get darker for the previous 25-30 miles wondering how close I'd get before I had to seek shelter.  I thought my mojo was gonna carry me through.  Snap!  I guess my mojo isn't as powerful as I deluded myself into thinking.  Fortunately, there was a gas station within about a mile of the exit.  I laid low while the worst of the storm rolled through and then sprinted the rest of the way.

Snap #2 came as I pulled into Robin's garage - I noticed my low beam headlight was out.  Wait a minute.  That's not inconvenience.  It's adventure!  When you're traveling it's called adventure, right?  Right.  Yeah!  That was cool!  Right.....   Anyway...  A quick visit to my local NAPA store store and a few minutes in the garage and all is well.  Illumination and visibility have been restored.

One of my goals, once I get to Oklahoma, is to avoid the interstate, chain motels, and franchised restaurants until I leave my final destination.  Right now I'm sitting in a Caribou Coffee and I'm reminded why I'm going to avoid franchises.  There are about 30 people in here and at least 25 are drinking their beverages out of disposable cups.  And to my shame, I'm one of them.  Note to self: bring your travel mug next time.  Repeat this scenario at how many other Caribous around the country right now and how many single use cups will be thrown in the trash in the next few minutes?  Sigh.  We have a long way to go.  The good news is that I saw at least one customer at the drive-through pass reusable mugs into the window to be filled.  One out of 30 is not enough.

Okay, back on the road.  To Pawhuska, OK this evening.  My room for the next two nights does not have internet access, but I was told the public library does.  I'm hoping I can find access somewhere.

Thanks for the hospitality, Robin!

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment