Monday, June 20, 2011

Weather Delay in South Dakota

At work we call it “Adaptive Management.”  Right now I call it “adaptive travel.”  As I rolled out of Badlands NP and into Rapid City, SD yesterday afternoon the forecast called for severe thunderstorms with potential for high winds and large hail in this area for Sunday (today).  My plan calls for me to head north through western South Dakota along US HWY 85 into North Dakota.  North of Rapid City is Belle Fourche and then…almost nothing.  I didn’t want to get caught in a hail storm in western South Dakota with nowhere to seek cover, so I decided to stay in Rapid City until Monday.  I know that was the responsible or safe decision, but it’s sunny outside my window right now, so it doesn’t necessarily feel right.  The good news is that I just enjoyed a couple pints from the Firehouse Brewing Co., so I guess it’s not all bad.
I visited the Journey Museum here in Rapid City this morning to learn a little about the history of the area.  I wish I had a profound observation after my visit, but all I can do is shake my head.  The history of Rapid City and our presence in the Black Hills is the history of our interactions with Native Americans and our approach to our natural resources.  In fact, our interactions with the Sioux define our interactions with the Native Americans.  Do we appear to have learned anything?  No. 
Rapid City is pretty cool.  The brewery is housed in an old fire station and it’s called, appropriately enough, the Firehouse Brewing Co.  They have a collection of fire department patches including the District of Columbia.  My next younger brother is a DC fireman, so I was proud to see it them represented.  I had a couple good meals while in town, too, which has been welcome as the cuisine of the small towns of the Great Plains is not what I would call inspired.
I hope to get back on the road tomorrow.  The forecast still holds rain, but hopefully, no lightning.  I’m going to shoot for Belle Fourche and reassess the situation when I get there.  The forecast looks good again starting Tuesday.  I might be able to make it to my friend Tighe’s place in North Dakota if I get two good days.  I’ll be passing national grasslands and Theodore Roosevelt NP on the way and I’d like to take the time to have a look.

I saw this thunderhead north of Rapid City on Saturday - it reinforced my commitment to monitor the weather forecast.


The intersection of the prairie and the sky at Badlands NP.

No comments:

Post a Comment